Sunflower Seeds are great for our health. I eat this super seed almost every day with my breakfast as there are several benefits of eating this seed for us.
Roasted Sunflower seeds are great in taste, but we can also eat them raw.
But what about your Hamsters? Do they work the same on your hamster’s body, or is it wrong for them? How should they eat, and in what quantities? Let’s find out those essential answers that you must know.
So, Can Hamsters Eat Sunflower Seeds?
YES! Hamsters can eat sunflower seeds with their main diet or as a treat. This seed can be an excellent choice for your hamster, as it has some essential nutrients that help it stay healthy. It is an excellent source of Fats, Vitamins, Protein, and other vital nutrients. But, excessive feeding of Sunflower seeds can make your hamster fat.
Due to the great benefits of this seed, you can serve it with their main diet daily. Or, while taming, you can give this seed as a treat; they will love it.
Those benefits are mentioned here…
Benefits of Sunflower Seeds to Your Hamster
Seeds are an excellent choice for nowadays lifestyle; Sunflower Seed is one of them. There are many great benefits of serving this seed to your hamster. But before that, let’s look at this seed’s Nutritional values.
|Total Fat [Saturated, Polyunsaturated, Monounsaturated]||14 grams|
|Vitamin E||37% of the RDI|
|Folate||17% of the RDI|
|Iron, Magnesium, Zinc, Copper||6%, 9%, 10% and 26% of the RDI|
|Manganese||30% of the RDI|
|Folate||17% of the RDI|
|Selenium||32% of the RDI|
There are also other Vitamins and minerals in this seed. Now let’s take a look at the benefits;
- Body Growth: Sunflower Seed is a good source of fat that helps hamsters to grow their body weight, protect their organs, give them energy, support cell growth, and absorb vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin E, and others.
- Give them Essential Protein: Protein is one of the primary nutrients humans and animals need daily as it helps repair body cells and make new cells. It also grows muscle and is essential for overall body growth. So serving Sunflower seeds can be a great choice to fulfill your hamster’s protein needs.
- Protect Against Chronic Diseases: Chronic Diseases are those that last long, for example, diabetes, cancer, kidney, heart disease, and others. Diabetes is common in dwarf hamsters, and cancer and kidney disease are also common for older female hamsters. Sunflower Seed is rich in Vitamin E and Selenium, which help to protect against various chronic diseases. So having this superfood in the hamster diet is a blessing.
- Take Care of Their Teeth Health: Seeds are always great for your hamster’s teeth. As overgrowth of teeth is common in hamsters, these munchy seeds will take good care of their teeth.
- It also boosts the immunity system in hamsters.
- Helps with blood clotting factors.
- The zinc in the sunflower seed helps heal the damaged tissues.
With excellent benefits, every food has some downsides, similarly Sunflower seeds. The side effects are…
Risk of Feeding Sunflower Seeds to Your Hamster
If you serve your hamster sunflower seeds excessively, then it may cause them several health issues, like:
- Overweight: As mentioned earlier, Sunflower seeds are high in fat, so consuming them excessively can make your hamster fat; thus, you’ll have an unhealthy and lazy hamster.
- Diarrhea: The Vitamin C level in Sunflower seeds may cause diarrhea to your hamster if served excessively.
- Stool Blockages or Constipation: If you serve a large number of sunflower seeds with its shell to your hamster, then they can have Stool Blockage or Constipation, as those shells can not be digested. Although, hamsters do peel the shell while eating.
- Kidney Problem: In sunflower seeds, there is cadmium content, which is a metal content and can harm kidneys if consumed too much. Thus, serving Sunflower seeds in moderation is best and most beneficial for your hamster.
If you serve sunflower seeds to your hamster in fewer amounts, you don’t have to worry about those Risks; your hamster will get more benefits and any side effects.
But, you should know how to serve this and how often……
How To Serve Sunflower Seeds To Hamsters?
You should always be careful while serving food to your small pet, as hamsters don’t have a large stomach or digestion system.
So here’s how you can safely serve sunflower seeds to your hamsters…
- First, select the best type of sunflower seeds that suits hamsters and other pets, meaning unsalted and unflavoured sunflower seeds. [I’ve discussed it in detail; you should check it first]
- Raw sunflower seeds are best for hamsters, and before serving them, if you feel it needs to be cleaned, you can take a strainer and rinse them with water to clean the seeds.
- Then, you may have the question, Should You Peel the Shells of Sunflower Seeds before serving them to your Hamster?
- Hamsters peel the shells in their mouth and only eat the main seed.
- Now, your hamster is good to go.
What Type of Sunflower Seeds Can Hamsters Eat?
There are various kinds of sunflower seeds, so while choosing for your little pet, you must be careful because not all sunflower seeds are okay for hamsters.
You should not feed your hamsters those Sunflower Seeds intended for planting because they contain chemicals for growth. Also, some human sunflower seeds are covered with salt, which is unsuitable for your hamster. So do check the sodium level of the sunflower seeds before buying.
You can find mainly two types of Sunflower Seeds…
- Black oil sunflower seeds are mainly sold for birds and other pets. As they are smaller, your pets can quickly eat and digest those seeds.
- Striped sunflower seeds are mainly sold for humans and are larger than black oil, but your pets can eat them too.
So both types of Sunflower Seeds are acceptable to serve to your hamster, but you have to ensure those seeds don’t have salt or any other flavor as salt is dangerous for hamsters.
So always check the sodium level in the package or ask for healthy and unsalted sunflower seeds in your local market.
How Many Sunflower Seeds Can Hamsters Eat?
Although, the quantity of Sunflower seeds given to your hamster depends on various things, like species, how hungry they are, health condition, serving type, and others. But here is an estimation…
For Syrian Hamsters: As they are the largest, you can feed around 2-5 sunflower seeds/day to your Syrian hamsters.
For Small Dwarf Hamsters: Dwarf Hamsters are the smallest, so you should not be feeding more than 2 sunflower seeds/per day to your hamsters.
Pro Tip: If you’re just staring with this seed I would recommend you starting with less amount and gradually increase.
Can Hamsters Have Sunflower Seeds Every Day?
Hamsters and other rodents love sunflower seeds; YES, you can give sunflower seeds to your hamster daily, but you should follow the amount I told you [2-5 seeds/day]. Don’t feed more than that, as this seed has a high-fat level that can make your hamster fat.
Too many sunflower seeds can also cause constipation and severe health issues for your hamster.
Another thing to remember is that if you already have a fat hamster, you can give a gap of a day, meaning don’s serve them daily.
Although there are some alternatives to this, seeds are here…
The alternative of Sunflower Seeds for Hamsters
You can also purchase a seeds mixture for your hamster instead of buying each.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?